Instructions for Applicants to initiate the Granting procedure of Full Professorship
1) Basic information
The Granting procedure of Full Professorship is regulated by Act No. 111/1998 Coll., on Higher Education Institutions, Code of Procedure for the Granting of Associate Professorship and Full Professorship of Charles University and Rules For The Granting Of Associate Professorship And Full Professorship At The Faculty.
2) Accredited fields for the Associate and Full Professorship procedures at the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics
3) Profile of Full Professor at the MFF UK in the field of science, teaching and service to the academic community
A Full Professor is an internationally recognized personality, both for her/his research and for educational activities.
Research: The applicant has a distinguished research programme with international recognition supported by letters written by distinguished experts in her/his research field. She/he has become a key and influential personality of the relevant Department. She/he has authored a number of highly cited publications relevant to her/his research programme. She/he has been recognized by the research community, for example by being an invited or plenary speaker and member of programme and steering committees at renowned international conferences. The distinguished position of the applicant will also be documented by authoring invited surveys, reviews, books or monographs. The applicant takes part in important national and international projects.
Teaching: The applicant has a leadership position in teaching and guarantees the quality of the education programmes in her/his research field, which she/he has created and/or substantially modified, effectively establishing a new “school of research.” His/her former undergraduate and graduate students are expected to be successful both inside and outside academia.
Service: The applicant assumes important roles in serving the international academic community (such as being an editor of a research journal, or as an organizer or other key role at important conferences). She/he plays an essential part in committees and the administrative and service activities of her/his Department and fulfils the role of mentor to her/his younger colleagues.
4) Recommended aspects of evaluation for the Associate and Full Professorship procedures at Charles University
To obtain the title of Full Professor in certain fields, the faculty will recommend applicants who meet the Recommended Aspects of evaluation for the Full Professorship procedures at Charles University.
5) List of required documents for initiating the procedures for the granting of the Full Professorship. All signatures will need to be handwritten; electronic signatures are not acceptable
- Signed consent for Charles University to process personal data with a current date
- Signed application with a current date
- The application must include full name of an accredited field (e.g. Physics – Physics of Condensed Matter and Materials), a list of accredited fields is available here
- Verified copies of
diplomas that show the completion of Master’s and PhD education/ Doctorate
degree and Associate Professorship in the same field of study as the Full
Professorship procedure (ideally in form A4)
- Notarial certification
- At least two written opinions of professors of the same or related field
- Academic CV – signed and
- The Title of the diploma, rigorosum and dissertation thesis and names of thesis supervisors
- The Title of the habilitation work and year when the Associate professorship was awarded
- The roles in grants (principal investigator, co-investigator, member of the research team)
- Participation in invited lectures, plenary lectures, etc.
- Proof of work experience (for the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University employees, this statement is issued by faculty personnel department)
- Complete transcript of pedagogical activities for
last five years – signed (indicate only carried out activities)
- A list of currently supervised students in Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD study programs and the year of their enrollment
- A list of students in Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD study programs led by the applicant and the academic year in which these students graduated
- List of publications with impact factor for
periodicals where it exists – signed (2 copies)
- Please follow the order of publications according to the list
index of the applicant’s work listed in WOS, SCOPUS databases, or other
- At least 10 of her/his best publications and a list of citations for each of them. The minimum amount is 50citations for the field of Physics, Computer Science and Mathematics
- Copies of relevant WOS pages - documents must be
- The list is created on the Web of Science website, via Create Citation Report. The applicant will provide a complete version of the list with a line graph.
- List of relevant staying abroad longer than one
month (uninterrupted) studying abroad or an internship; please specify dates and
length of the stay (participation in conferences is not to be mentioned) –
- If the applicant has not completed any stays abroad, this fact must be declared
- The most important scientific/professional
works, textbooks, etc. must be included
- A minimum of 5printed articles, monographs, textbooks, etc. must be included. These articles will be presented/available to the members of the Scientific Board for examination during the applicant's lecture.
All applicants are asked to examine point 6 below. “Process related to the procedures for the granting of Full Professorship”, including the link.
The documents, together with the assessment of compliance with the criteria, will be checked by a designated Vice-Dean.
In the decision-making process, the Scientific Board has at least one copy of each document that was used by the Commission.
The applicant has the right to submit to the Scientific Board any additional documents in printed form at the Habilitation lecture if they are relevant for the comprehensive assessment of the applicant’s personality and her/his work.
6) Procedure for the appointment of a Full Professorship
Since 5th October 2017, the granting procedure of Full Professorship at the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University have been conducted with the support of the CHRES application.
7) Recommendations to Habilitation lectures and Full Professorship lectures
8) Fees for the granting of Associate Professorship and the Full Professorship procedure