prof. RNDr. Radomír Kužel, CSc.
- Department of Condensed Matter Physics
- +420 95155 1394
- Supervised theses
- Assigned theses
- Room / building
- F 066, ground floor, Ke Karlovu 5, Ke Karlovu 2026/5, Praha 2
Professional interests and experience
- X-ray diffraction study of polycrystalline materials.
- XRD line profile analysis, lattice defects, lattice vibrations, textures, stresses, crystallites size, strains, reflectivity. Programming, X-ray lab
- Materials: nitrides, carbides, simple metals and alloys, thin films with remarkable mechanical, electrical, magnetic, optical properties, ultrafine-grained materials obtained by severe plastic deformation.
- Some important items: derivation of general method for study of dislocation types from anisotropy of X-ray line broadeningo, study of microstructural parameters and inhomogeneities in nitride and oxide thin films, calculation of anomalous diffraction profiles in Cu-Be alloys with precipitates, study of microstructure and its temperature evolution in submicrocrystalline materials. Study of nanopowders, nanotubes, nanowires. Study of thin film crystallization and its relation to residual stresses.
Author or co-author of 171 publications in international journals and proceedings with over 3000 citations, H-index according WOS – 33. About 15 invited lectures at international conferences and meetings.
Some selected papers
-  J. Pešička, R. Kužel, A. Dronhofer, G. Eggeler: The evolution of dislocation density during heat treatment and creep of tempered martensite ferritic steels, Acta Materialia, 51 (2003) n. 16, 4847–4862. 348 citations
-  P. Klimanek, R. Kužel: X-Ray Diffraction Line Broadening due to Dislocations in Non-Cubic Materials I. Journal of Applied Crystallography, 21 (1988) 59–66, 135 citations
-  J. Čížek, M. Janeček, O. Srba, R. Kužel, Z. Barnovská, I. Procházka, S. Dobatkin, Evolution of defects in copper deformed by high-pressure torsion Acta Materialia 59 (2011) 2322–2329. 103 citations
-  R.K. Islamgaliev, F. Chmelík, R,. Kužel: Thermal stability of submicron grained copper and nickel, Materials Science and Engineering A, 237 (1997) 43–51. 102 citations
-  Z. Matěj, L. Nichtová, R. Kužel:XRD total pattern fitting applied to study of microstructure of TiO2 films. Powder Diffraction, 25 (2010) 125–131. 68 citations
-  R. Kužel, M. Janeček, Z. Matěj, J. Čížek, M. Dopita, O. Srba: Microstructure of ECAP Cu and Cu-Zr samples studied by different methods Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 41 (2010) 1174–1190. 33 citations
-  K. Mathis, T. Krajňák, R. Kužel, J. Gubicza: Structure and mechanical behaviour of interstitial-free steel processed by equal-channel angular pressing Journal of Alloys and Compounds 509 (2011) 3522–3525. 33 citatations
-  Z. Matěj, A. Kadlecová, M. Janeček, L. Matějová, M. Dopita, R. Kužel: Refining bimodal microstructure of materials with MSTRUCT. Powder Diffraction, 29 (2015 S35–41.) 32 citations
-  R. Kužel: Kinematical diffraction by distorted crystals – dislocation X-ray line broadening, Zeitschrift fuer Kristallographie, 222 (2007) 136–149. 25 citations
-  R. Kužel, L. Nichtová, Z. Matěj, J. Musil: In-situ X-ray diffraction studies of time and thickness dependence of crystallization of amorphous TiO2 thin films and stress evolutionof crystallization of amorphous magnetron deposited TiO2 thin films. Thin Solid Films 519 (2010) 1649–1654. 20 citations.
-  Z. Matěj, R. Kužel, L. Nichtová, XRD Analysis of Residual Stress in Thin Polycrystalline Anatase Films and Elastic Anisotropy of Anatase Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 42 (2011) 3323–3332. 13 citations
-  J. Buršík, R. Uhrecký, M. Soroka, R. Kužel, J. Prokleška: The hexaferrite Sr3Co2Fe24O41 thin films by chemical solution deposition method: Synthesis and characterization, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 469 (2019) 245–252.
-  M. Soroka, J. Buršík, R. Kužel, J. Prokleška, M.H. Aquire: Characterization of W-type hexaferrite thin films prepared by chemical solution deposition, Thin Solid Films, 726 (2021) 138670
- 2014–2020. Member of the Executive Committee of the International Union of Crystallography (IUCr)
- 2006–2013: Member of the Executive Committee of the European Crystallographic Association (ECA)
- 2004–2014: Member of the EPDIC committee
- Member of the Size-Strain conference committee
- Since 1992 – Secretary of the Czech and Slovak Crystallographic Association (CSCA).
- (preparation and organization of regular national meetings of the CSCA, one-day seminars, membership and chairmanship of organizing and programme committees of the meetings).
- 2011–2017 Chair of the Regional Czech and Slovak Committee of the IUCr.
- Since 1994 – Editor-In-Chief and technical editor of the journal: Materials Structure in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Technology, published by the CSCA (ISSN 1211–5894).
- Webmaster of the CSCA, ECM-18, EPDIC IX (www.xray.cz)
- Twenty-Fifths Congress and General Assembly of the International Union of Crystallography, August 2021, Prague – chair and main organizer of hybrid congress (over 500 real participants and over 1100 online participants). Awarded by Prague Convention Bureau in September 2022 as a hybrid congress of 2020–21 in Prague (www.xray.cz/iucr, www.iucr25.org, www.xray.cz/iucr/after)
- Twenty-Sixths Congress and General Assembly of the International Union of Crystallography, August 2023, Melbourne, Canada – member of international programme committee (IPC)
- Twenty-Third Congress and General Assembly of the International Union of Crystallography, August 2014, Montreal, Canada – member of international programme committee (IPC)
- European Powder Diffraction Conference – EPDIC, Praha 2004, 350 participants, conference chair
- European Crystallographic Meeting – ECM, Praha 1998, 1100 participants, conference secretary
- Size-Strain Conference (Liptovský Mikuláš 1995, Praha 2004, Garmisch-Partenkirchen 2007, Hyeres, France 2011, Oxford 2015) – committee member
- Aperiodic 2015, Praha, member of organizing committee
- School on Aperiodic Crystals 2022, Kutná Hora, co-organizer
- Heart of Europe Bio-Crystallography Meeting 2022, Dolní Vltavice, co-organizer
- ICBM –16, 2016, Praha, member of organizing committee
- Condensed Matter Divison of EPS, Praha 2004, member of organizing committee,
- XTOP (X-ray topography and high resolution difraction) Praha 2004, member of organizing committee
- Advanced Methods in X-Ray and Neutron Structure Analysis (srpen 1990, Praha), member of organizing committee
- School on International Tables of Crystallography (1993, Praha, chair of organizing committee)
- ICDD Grant-In-Aid Workshop, Praha, 1997, organizer
- viz (www.xray.cz)
- 1975–1980: Study of Physics at MFF UK, Prague
- 1980: Graduated in Solid State Physics
- 1989: PhD (Thesis: “Dislocation induced X-ray line broadening in hexagonal materials”)
- 2001: Associate professor
- 2015: Professor
- 1986–1990: Joint physical-engineering laboratory of the Academy of Sciences and the Charles University
- 1990–2000: Research fellow and scientist, MFF UK
- Since 2001: Associate professor at the Department of Electronic Structures, Charles University
- Since 2001: Head of the X-ray group
- Since 2006: Head of the Department of Condensed Matter Physics, MFF UK
- From 1.1.2010 to 31.12.2013 head of the Department of condensed matter physics (KFKL)
- From 1.1.2014 assoc. professor, later professor at KFKL, vice-head of the department till 2020
- Bergakademie Freiberg (Germany) 1984–1988 many stays; XRD experiments, computations, theory topicsw: dislocation induced XRD line broadening in hexagonal materials
- Helsinki University (Finland) 1988, 1991, 1996, 1996 XRD experiments topics: thin film analysis with asymmetric diffraction geometries
- Institute of chemical technology Qingdao (China). 1991 two-months stay, lectures, XRD experiments, programming, week school on diffraction on thin films for experts from different parts of China
- Virginia Tech – Polytechnical Institute and State University, Blacksburg (USA) 1992, 1993, theory, programming, topics: X-ray scattering on materials with precipitates