Admission Requirements for Bachelor's Programmes in English (2021/2022)
|Address:||MFF UK - Ke Karlovu 3, 121 16 Praha 2|
|Contact Person:||Mgr. Solange Petracchi|
|Phone:||+420 951 551 404|
|Application's submission:||April 30, 2021|
|Charge for on-line application: (online):||820 CZK|
Information on the Admission Procedure
Bachelor’s Entry Requirements
The goal of the admissions review process is to select from the pool of applicants those individuals who have shown the capability and diligence expected of Charles University students. To apply for the Bachelor of Computer Science programme given in English you must:
• hold or be working towards a High School Leaving Certificate (Diploma) or its equivalent; in cases required by law, a certification of equivalence of education must accompany the application;
• meet the Reasoning Requirements, and
• provide sufficient proof of English Language Proficiency.
To submit your scores electronically, please use the following Institution codes:
High School Graduation Certificate (Diploma)
• Each applicant into a Bachelor programme must deliver an officially authorized copy of a secondary school graduation certificate and, if the school certificate does not clearly show the content and scope of subjects that were studied, also certified secondary school transcripts with an official translation into English or Czech (if issued in a different language to these). Those applicants, who completed their secondary education at a secondary school abroad, must deliver one of the following documents: a document about a general recognition of equality or validity of a foreign secondary school graduation certificate in the Czech Republic (so called "nostrification"), or a document confirming obtaining a European Bacalaureate, or a foreign document about a foreign secondary school education if it is automatically recognized in the Czech Republic, according to its international agreements, without further official processing (secondary school graduation certificate from Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Slovenia), or a foreign document about completing secondary education which will be assessed by the faculty itself (no fee is being charged). Detailed information on how the condition of obtaining secondary education should be proven by the alumni of foreign secondary schools, as well as additional information, may be found on faculty webpages, here: https://www.mff.cuni.cz/en/students/general-rules/assessment-of-secondary-school-certification-and-studies-for-applicants-to-bachelor-s-programmes-of-study. The officially authorized documents must be physically sent to the Study Office of the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics preferably by June 30, 2021, and by September 30, 2021 at the latest. If you do not deliver the document about a completed education, you will be neither accepted nor enrolled for Bachelor's studies.
If you have not completed your secondary education yet but will complete it soon, let us know. You can provide us with the documentation later; however, you must have completed your studies before enrolment.
Conditions for Admission
The table below summarizes the minimum Reasoning Requirements for the undergraduate Computer Science programme at Charles University. You must have at least one of the qualifications listed here or provide us comparable results for other recognized qualifications such as Irish Leaving Certificate, German Abitur, Bagrut in Israel or STMP in Malaysia (specific required scores for other internationally recognized qualifications may be provided on request). Any test results should not be older than three years.
SAT Composite Score 1240, including a score in Mathematics of at least 660
SAT Subject Test in Mathematics, level I or II 700
ACT Composite Score 26, including a score in Mathematics of at least 27
International Baccalaureate Diploma 32, including a score in Mathematics HL or Further Mathematics HL of at least 6
GCE AS Levels or GCE A Levels (not including General Studies, Critical Thinking or Key Skills) A A B, including an A in Mathematics
Take-home assignment (Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University) 40 (out of 100). The Take-home assignment consists of 10 problems, each worth a maximum of 10 points, for a maximum total score of 100.
Compliance with the admission requirements for the Computer Science programme given in Czech is an alternative to the above minimum Reasoning Requirements.
English Language Proficiency
An applicant must have an adequate command of English in order to enroll on an English-taught programme at Charles University. Proficiency in English may be demonstrated by one of the standard language tests listed below; any language test results should not be older than two years. Students who have completed at least two years of their previous education with English as the sole language of instruction in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, UK, Republic of South Africa or USA are exempt from this requirement. Applicants who provide us with comparable qualifications demonstrating proficiency in English also meet our requirements.
The table below lists the various tests of English that we recognize, and gives the minimum score that should be obtained.
Test Minimum Score
TOEFL Paper/Computer/Internet based 550/213/80
SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing 550
ACT English and Reading 24
International Baccalaureate English 6
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 6.5
Cambridge ESOL FCE A level
Cambridge ESOL CPE, or Cambridge ESOL CAE Passed
City&Guilds International ESOL, or City&Guilds International Spoken ESOL Expert level
The European Language Certificates Level TELC English C1
UNIcert English for Mathematicians Level C1
Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English (ECPE) Pass
Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) 605
General State Language Examination in English in the Czech Republic Pass
Information on the Admission Procedure
How to apply:
1. Take the standardized tests (SAT, ACT, TOEFL, …) and submit your scores. We strongly recommend that applicants complete their standardized tests in time.
2. Collect all required documents and information, including personal details (name, date and place of birth, citizenship, permanent address, correspondence address, email address, passport number), name and address of your secondary school, school leaving certificate and related documents, standardized test scores.
3. Fill in the electronic application form. Here (https://www.mff.cuni.cz/admission/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/sampleapplication.pdf) you can view a sample application in pdf; it consists of a Czech and English part. Please note that the pdf that is generated from your online application is for your reference only; in particular, please do not send it to us.
4. Submit the application online. If you have any questions regarding your application, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to upload with your application all required documents as specified above. For TOEFL, SAT, ACT and IB, you should have your test scores sent directly to Charles University, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics. Here are our institution codes: TOEFL 3184, SAT 7249, ACT 6790, IB 000147.
Please note that an application cannot be processed without the required documents having been received, nor can it be processed if the application fee has not been paid. If the applicant has not paid the application fee in full and this deficiency has not been eliminated even within an additionally set deadline, the admission procedure shall be terminated. Also, for enrolment we require an official copy of every document that you have submitted with your application (i.e., to submit your application a scanned copy of the relevant document is sufficient, but to complete the admission process you must provide an official document – e.g., a copy verified by a notary, or an original).