|Address:||MFF UK – Ke Karlovu 3, 121 16 Praha 2|
|Contact Person:||Kristýna Kysilková|
|Phone:||+420 221 911 217|
|Application's submission:||Winter round: February 28, 2017
Spring round: May 31, 2017
Applicants from outside the European Union and the Schengen Zone are advised to apply in the Winter round to have enough time for obtaining the student Visa or the Long Term Residence Permit for the Czech Republic.
|Entrance examination date:||June 7, 2017|
|Alternative entrance examination date:||June 26, 2017, can be requested for serious reasons only|
|Charge for on-line application:||590 CZK|
Admission Procedure for Master programmes in English, 2017/2018
Conditions for Admission
The goal of the admissions review process is to select from the pool of applicants those individuals who have shown the best capability and diligence expected of Charles University students. To apply for our Mathematics or Computer Science Master's programmes delivered in English you must:
- hold or be working towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s diploma and provide a certified copy thereof; in cases required by law, a certification of equivalence of education must accompany the application,
- have sufficient academic background in the relevant fields (see below for details); this can be demonstrated by passing the specialized entrance examination in June 2017 in Prague that is organized by the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, or by providing transcripts (academic records) of your previous education accompanied by syllabi of the completed courses; promising students who do not have this background may be admitted with the provision that they complete the missing knowledge from Bachelor's courses,
- have sufficient command of the English language; this can be demonstrated by providing your results in one of the standardized English tests that we recognize (see below for details).
You are also welcome to accompany your application by:
- a statement of purpose in which you describe your reasons for applying to the proposed programme, your study and possibly also research interests and future career plans,
- letters of recommendation as recent as possible from professors and employers who can comment on your recent professional accomplishments and your qualifications for pursuing a Master's degree in mathematics or computer science.
Conditions for Admission Without Entrance Examination
In this paragraph we summarize the minimum knowledge required for applicants in the various study programmes and study branches offered at our faculty.
Master of Computer Science
Study branches Theoretical Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Discrete Models and Algorithms, Computer Graphics and Game Development, Software and Data Engineering, Software Systems, Artificial Intelligence: background in calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, probability, logic, computer programming, algorithms and data structures, computer organization, and the theory of automata and formal grammars.
Master of Mathematics
Common requirements: A sound background in linear algebra, real and complex analysis, measure theory and probability theory.
Study branch Mathematical Structures: Common requirements + group theory, mathematical logic.
Study branch Mathematical Analysis: Common requirements + general topology, functional analysis, ordinary and partial differential equations.
Study branch Numerical and Computational Mathematics: Common requirements + numerical mathematics, functional analysis, ordinary and partial differential equations.
Study branch Mathematical Modelling in Physics and Technology: Common requirements + classical mechanics, functional analysis, ordinary and partial differential equations.
Study branch Probability, Mathematical Statistics and Econometrics: Common requirements + mathematical statistics, Markov chains.
Study branch Financial and Insurance Mathematics: Common requirements + mathematical statistics, Markov chains, financial mathematics.
Academic records demonstrating the necessary background must show the dates of enrolment and the subjects or courses taken, together with the units of credit or time allotted to each subject. The records must also include a complete description of the institution's grading scale or other standard of evaluation. Unless academic records and diplomas are routinely issued in English by the institution, the official records in their original language must be submitted with an authorized, complete, and exact English translation.
English Language Proficiency
The English language requirements are the same as for the Bachelor's programmes.
Description of the Entrance Examination and Evaluation Criteria
Applicants who will not sufficiently demonstrate the necessary background listed above by 9 May 2017, or with their application, will be invited to take the entrance examination in Prague. The entrance examination for a Master's programme at the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics at Charles University consists of four problems, each worth 25 points. In case of an incomplete solution a proportional number of points will be given. The maximum total score is 100. The minimum score for admission is 40 points out of 100. Depending on the study programme and study branch, the examination has the following structure:
Master of Computer Science
All study branches:
Computer Science (4 problems, e.g., logic, automata theory, programming, theoretical computer science)
Master of Mathematics
Study branch Financial and Insurance Mathematics:
Mathematics (2 problems)
Probability and Statistics (1 problem)
Financial Mathematics (1 problem)
Mathematics (4 problems)