Prague Mathematics Tuition Fee Scholarships 2023
The Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, grants a limited number of scholarships to highly qualified applicants, consisting of a tuition fee waiver of 3 400 EUR up to 17 100 EUR, depending on the applicant’s chosen programme, academic performance and country of origin.
- The Scholarship will be known as the Prague Mathematics Tuition Fee Scholarship (PMTFS).
- The Scholarship is open to candidates applying for the Master’s Programmes in Mathematics (i.e., for any of the programmes Computational Mathematics, Financial and Insurance Mathematics, Mathematical Analysis, Mathematical Structures, Mathematics for Information Technologies, Probability, Mathematical Statistics and Econometrics, Mathematical Modelling in Physics and Technology), at the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, language of instruction English, for the academic years beginning 2023/2024, and who have not studied in the programme earlier. Candidates must meet the Entry Requirements for the corresponding programme.
- Up to two Scholarships will be awarded for students in the Master’s Programme in Mathematics.
- The Scholarship includes direct coverage of tuition fees for academic years 2023/24 and 2024/25, which amounts to 3 400 EUR per academic year for students from the EU, and 5 700 EUR per academic year for students outside the EU.
- The decision on awarding the Scholarship belongs to the Dean of the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic excellence. The Dean reserves the right not to award a Scholarship.
- To apply for the PMTFS, you must apply for the
Master’s Programme in Mathematics, using the Student Information System of
Charles University, and must accompany your application with the following
(i) curriculum vitae;
(ii) motivation letter;
(iii) list of publications (if applicable);
(iv) transcript(s) of records;
(v) application for the PMTFS (no prescribed form);
(vi) two letters of recommendation from academic supervisors or employer.
All these documents must be written in or translated into English. Documents under (i)-(iv) should be uploaded (preferred format of documents is pdf) to the Student Information System of the University (see the previous paragraph). The PMTFS application (v) should be sent to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “PMTFS application – your name”.The candidate should arrange for letters of recommendation (vi) to be sent directly by his/her referees to the email address email@example.com as well, with subject “PMTFS recommendation – your name”. It is the candidates's responsibility to ensure that the letters of recommendation are sent in time to reach us by the application deadline.
- Candidates must not be recipients of any other scholarship or maintenance grant.
- The deadline for submitting applications is 30 April 2023. By this deadline all documents proving that the applicant meets the Entry Requirements must also have been submitted. If an applicant's diploma has not yet been awarded by the deadline, the applicant may provide a document testifying that she/he is in her/his final year and then submit the diploma once it has been awarded.
- Candidates may be invited for an online interview in mid May 2023 for further assessment of their potential.
- Successful candidates will be advised of the outcome by 31 May 2023 at the latest. The Scholarship must be accepted by the date indicated in the letter offering it. If a candidate declines the Scholarship or does not take it up, the Dean may offer the Scholarship to another candidate.
- The Scholarship cannot be transferred to another programme at Charles University or to another university.
- A successful candidate will be expected to study full-time and complete the programme in two years. If the number of credits obtained by the end of the first year is less than 60, or if the programme is not completed in two years, the Scholarship will be withdrawn for the remainder of the candidate’s studies.