|Head of Department:
|Vice-Head of Department:
Study program coordinators:
- Mathematical Structures: Jan Šťovíček
- Mathematics for IT (bachelor degree): David Stanovský
- Mathematics for IT (master degree): Pavel Příhoda
- PhD program P4M1: Jan Krajíček
- Libor Barto's project won the financial support of UNCE.
- Our graduate Martin Spisak became the winner of the competition IT SPY with his master thesis Sparse Approximate Inverse for Enhanced Scalability in Recommender Systems.
- Congratulations to Daniel Gil-Munoz for earning his 3-year GACR grant Arithmetic properties of Hopf-Galois extensions.
- Vita Kala received Dean’s teaching award for excellent student questionnaire results in 2022/23.
- Jakub Krasensky defended his PhD thesis Universal quadratic forms over orders in number fields.
- David Uhrik defended his PhD thesis Colorings of infinite graphs.
- Starting in 2024, we will have two new PRIMUS grants. Congratulations to Michael Kompatcher and Pavlo Yatsyna!
- Kristina Asimi defended her PhD thesis Promises in satisfaction problems.
- Welcome Dima Zhuk as our new assistant professor. He won the competition organized by the School of Mathematics.
- Congratulations to Chiara Sava and to Mykyta Narusevych & Ondra Jezil for earning their GAUK grants.
- Vita Kala was elected chair of the evaluation panel for mathematics and computer science at Czech Science Foundation.
- Giacomo Cherubini, our recent postdoc, received the Bolzano Award for his work on Prime geodesic theorem.
- Gabriela Tethalova, our graduate from the program Matematics for information technologies, became a laureate of the Jindrich Chalupecky Award.
- Save the dates for the Spring School in Nature (Skola v prirode): March 23–26, 2023, in Prostredni mlyn near Jicin.
- Congratulations to Honza Stovicek for his new GACR grant Homological and structural theory in geometric contexts.
- Libor Barto received a prestigeous grant ERC Synergy Polynomial-time Computation: Opening the Blackboxes in Constraint Problems, jointly with Michael Pinsker from TU Wien and Manuel Bodirsky from TU Dresden. Detailed information can be found at the faculty website.
- Igor Oliveira, a former postdoctoral researcher at our department, received an ERC Starting Grant Synergies Between Complexity and Learning. Currently he works at the University of Warwick.
- Magdalena Tinkova received the Josef Hlavka prize for her research conducted during her PhD studies at our department, which she successfully finished a few months ago.
- Vita Kala, Martin Raska and Libor Barto appeared on the list of the top-rated teachers at our faculty in the academic year 2021/2022.
- Sebastian Opper together with several other postdocs from our department received the PRIMUS Grant.
- Our students Matej Dolezalek a Martin Raska won the First Prize at the international competition for university students IMC.
- Matej Dolezalek received the Learned Society award for his work Quaternions and universal quadratic forms over number fields.
- Filippo Spaggiari got a three-year grant GAUK on the topic of Universal Algebraic and Group Theoretic methods in algebraic structures with unique division.
- We look forward to your PhD applications. The deadline is April 30, 2022.
- On May 13–15, our spring school will take place on the Tabor hill near Lomnice nad Popelkou.
- Michael Kompatscher will join our department as a new assistant professor.
- Pavlo Yatsyna received the Bolzano Award for his work on Representation of algebraic integers by quadratic forms.
- Students of the study branch Mathematical Structures received the Dean's prize for the best theses in mathematics: Martin Raska for his bachelor thesis (Sums of squares in number fields) and Jan Václavek for his master thesis (On search complexity of discrete logarithm).
- The website research.com published a list of world's top computer scientists which includes 10 Czech researchers. Three of them participate in our study program Mathematics for IT – Tomas Pajdla, Tomas Mikolov, Jan Flusser, and one in the program Mathematical structures – Jan Kratochvil.
- Students of master and PhD degree can apply for a financial contribution for travels to conferences, research visits and summer schools. To apply, contact the administrator of the SVV project Jan Zemlicka.
- Several new postdocs joined us within the past three months: Alessandro Fazzari, Francesco Genovese, Daniel Gil Munoz, Aniket Shah, Eric Nathan Stucky, Blazej Zmija.
- Josef Dvorak defended his PhD thesis Structural and categorical description of classes of abelian groups.
- The next edition of the traditional departmental fall school was held Nov 4–7, 2021, on Lucky vrch.
- Antoine Mottet, our postdoctoral researcher working on the ERC grant of Libor Barto, received the annual Prize of the Bernard Bolzano Foundation for young mathematicians in Czechia.
- Magda Tinkova defended her PhD thesis Arithmetic of number fields and generalized continued fractions and received the best evaluation grade for her GAUK project.
- Grant Agency of Charles University GAUK evaluated the results of Magda Tinkova's finished project Indecomposable integers and universal quadratic forms as exceptionally good. In this three year project in number theory, the team of Magda and four other students obtained interesting results concerning the arithmetic of cubic and biquadratic number fields.
- Students of the Algebra Department were very successful in the Czecho-Slovak final of the student research competition SVOC (section Mathematical structures): Matej Dolezalek won the 1st place for his work Quaternions and universal quadratic forms over number fields, and the 2nd place was shared by Zaneta Semanisinova (Paramedial quasigroups of prime and prime square order) and Ester Sgallova (Periodicity of Jacobi-Perron algorithm).