Information about the computer network in Karlín
The following administrators take care of the network and computer services in Karlín:
|Name||Contact (office, phone, e-mail)||Main responsibility|
|Jaroslav Richter||K381, 95155 3206, firstname.lastname@example.org||user support, user account creation, computer registration|
|Martin Trčka||K381, 95155 3237, email@example.com||computer classrooms and computer lab K10|
|Oldřich Ulrych||K387, 95155 3216, firstname.lastname@example.org||network and servers|
(If you are not sure who to contact, please contact any of the people above and we will pass on the information.)
Computer services for students
- computer classrooms (K4, K11) and computer lab (K10):
- access to classrooms (K4, K11) is by teacher only
- computer lab (K10) is open weekdays usually 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., there is the possibility of printing and scanning
- student accounts for logging into the computers (LABK domain) are automatically taken from the CAS system (login name must be a name, e.g. novakj, not a number; password is the same)
- for more information see https://labs.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/
- connection to the internet via the eduroam Wi-Fi network (login credentials must be set up in the CAS system: Other accounts -> Set password for eduroam realm cuni.cz)
- the local branch of the faculty library also has a study room with computers: https://www.mff.cuni.cz/en/library/library-services/study-rooms
Computer services for faculty, staff, PhD students, guests
- computer classrooms (K11, K4, K10A, K10B) - for access to the rooms, for setting up a teacher user account (LABK domain) or for installing the software -> Martin Trčka
- connecting to the Internet via the eduroam Wi-Fi network (login details must be set up by the user in the CAS system: Other accounts -> Set password for eduroam realm cuni.cz)
- connecting your computer to the wired network (computer registration) -> Jaroslav Richter
- Karlín user account (MSEKCE domain, see https://www.mff.cuni.cz/en/math/internal-affairs/net-and-computers/msekce) -> Jaroslav Richter, account offers:
- an e-mail box with the address email@example.com (webmail, IMAP)
- possibility to have your own website
- data space with backup
- furthermore, on request (-> Jaroslav Richter) we offer:
- remote access to a terminal (Windows) or SSH (Linux) server
- VPN (remote access to local network e.g. from home)
- computing cluster (and Git) - see https://cluster.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/ for information and account creation.
Note on security (phishing)
None of the Karlín administrators need to know the password to your account, and they certainly won't ask for it via email. So if you receive an email asking you to provide or enter your login credentials on some (dubious) website (or else all your data will be blocked or deleted within 24 hours), it will most likely be a phishing scam.
The only exception to this is the university's CAS system, which reminds users once a year that their password will expire in 14 days and that they should change it at https://ldapuser.cuni.cz/account/password/nomenu/1. But with the administrator J. Richter or O. Ulrych, you can also change the expired password (or at least extend its validity).
If you are in doubt whether an e-mail message is genuine or whether it is a scam, feel free to contact us (the administrator).