Department of Algebra welcomes PhD students interested to do research in the fields covered by our doctoral program P4M1 Algebra, number theory and mathematical logic. We offer several fully funded positions every year. The funding comes in two parts:
- The base scholarship: All PhD students will receive for the 4-year duration of their studies a state-guaranteed stipend of net 11,000 CZK/month, which increases to net 12,500 CZK/month in the second year and finally to net 14,500 CZK/month after passing the state doctoral exam (commonly during the second year of the studies).
- The department supplement: Additionally to the base scholarship, the Department of Algebra offers stipends to active PhD students. The amount depends on available grant funding. In recent years, all active PhD students received at least 25,000 CZK/month (about 1000 EUR), including the base scholarship. In case of increased demand or decreased funding, a competition for the supplement might take place. The official rules are described in the following document.
All information about the admission procedures can be found on the faculty website.
The core of the study is an individual study plan, concentrated on a joint research with your adviser. Therefore, getting a suitable adviser and research topic before the start of the studies is essential. Feel free to contact any of our faculty to inquire about the possibilities. The list of research topics covered by our department can be found in the section Research, contacts and specialization of our staff in the section People.
To become our student, we recommend the following procedure:
- During March, contact potential advisers.
- During April, select your adviser and agree upon a joint research topic.
- Submit your application in due time (April 30, 2021), following the official instructions.
To finish the study, you have to pass the state doctoral exam and to defend your thesis. The expected length of the studies is 4 years (maximum 8 years).
PhD students can take advantage of subsidized meals, discounted public transport, the possibility of staying in student dormitories, and free "Czech as foreign language" classes. The national health insurance scheme covers our doctoral students. There are no tuition or fees for PhD students. The price level in Prague can be estimated at Numbeo. The amount of net 25000 CZK/month is sufficient for a comfortable student life in Prague.